When I found out I was pregnant with my first son, I went to Babies R’ Us and basically registered for every product that looked cool. Bottles, fancy pack n’ plays, pacifiers, swings, bouncers, wipe warmers- I wanted them all! After about 6 months, I realized that most of what I got was unnecessary and I could have saved 100s of dollars!! Now, I tell friends and parents what works and what I think is a waste of time. Here’s my list of favorite products:
1.) Miracle Blanket (https://miracleware.com)
- This blanket saved my life! Babies are strong, they can Houdini themselves out of things that you wouldn’t believe! Before having my son, I learned how to swaddle with a blanket- what a joke! He could bust out of any blanket within minutes, which would then lead to him waking up after hitting himself in the face. When your baby is finally asleep, you want them to stay asleep, this blanket helps!
2.) Dr. Brown’s Bottles (https://www.drbrownsbaby.com)
- I basically thought that all bottles were created equal before having kids. They are not! This brand of bottles is the absolute best and helps decrease gas, so that after feeding, your baby is comfortable and they spit-up less.
3.) Magic Merlin Sleepsuit (https://www.magicsleepsuit.com)
- With my second son, he refused to sleep in the crib. I tried every technique I had used for my older son- warming the mattress before putting him down, putting his head in the corner of the crib so that he felt cozier, purchasing a better crib mattress- nothing worked!
Then I stumbled upon the Merlin Magic Sleepsuit- this thing is a miracle! On the first night, he was in it, he slept for 8 straight hours in the crib- he had never slept in there for more than 20 minutes. It was amazing. If your baby has trouble sleeping in the crib, try this product, it may work like magic for you, too.
4.) Fisher Price Rock n’ Play (click here)
- I am a huge fan of this device. I am a sleep coach, but for the first few months of life I believe in doing what you need to do to get your baby sleeping and yourself sleeping (as long as it’s safe!) This product is amazing. I don’t necessarily like the new ones that have all of the bells and whistles, but the standard Rock n’ Play that does not vibrate, rock on its own, etc. is amazing. It feels cozy, and the slight incline makes it easier on babies that may have reflux. I am a huge fan! Plus, you can rock it when your baby stirs, without holding your baby so that they learn a little bit of self-soothing with a little bit of help.
- There is no need to spring for the fancy pack n’ play, the basic one does the trick. If you are going to spend money on something, invest in the mattress that comes with it, so that your baby is not on the super hard mattress that’s included. I never used all the vibration/music options that came on my fancy one- it was a complete waste.
- When my son was 2 ½ years old he began waking up at 4:30 in the morning for the day. I was terrified at the prospect of waking up at 4:30 am when I was 8 months pregnant with #2. I scoured the internet for a clock that would be easy for him to understand and bright enough for him to see. I settled on this one from the UK, it’s amazing and both my sons still use it every morning. They know that when it turns yellow, they can come out of their room and start their day.
7.) Breathable mesh bumper (click here)
- I like bumpers because they make the crib feel a little cozier, and they also help with keeping the pacifiers in the bed. The thick cushy bumpers can be unsafe in the crib. I found that a breathable mesh bumper creates a cozier environment, while still being safe.
8.) Cloth diaper for burp cloths (click here)
- Forget those pretty burp cloths that don’t absorb anything- they are not worth it. Instead, get the plain old cloth diapers- they are amazing and absorbing spit up, spills etc. They are the absolute best!
9.) Aidan & Anais Blankets (https://www.adenandanais.com)
- Not only are these blankets pretty but they are also super functional. You can use them to cover your baby if they’re cold, use them to cover yourself if you’re nursing, use them to swaddle your baby if needed- they are super functional and beautiful.